- Might As Well Get Duped May 21, 2017 ShareThis poem is a parody of “Might As Well Get Juiced,” by the Rolling Stones.
If you really want to sell out your mind
If you want to leave all goodness behind
If you want to live on down in the drain
If you ...
- Fannie’s Song May 21, 2017 ShareThis poem is a parody of John Denver’s song called “Annie’s Song.” In Denver’s song, he compared the sensation of being with his wife to the sensation of being in nature. (“You fill up my senses / Like a night ...
- The Three Views April 22, 2017 ShareThis poem is a sonnet about believers, atheists, and agnostics.
Believers tell us daily, “God is there,”
Although no one has proved that he exists;
Their only weakness is that they’re aware
That doubt and worry in their minds persists.
The atheists do tell us, ...
- Exiles in Babylon – Revised April 17, 2017 ShareThree exiled Jews refused to obey the King of Babylon and bow down to his golden image. This poem is an interpretation of part of the book of Daniel, in the Bible.
In the land of Judah, Jehoiakim reigned.
But, in his ...
- The Merry-Go-Round April 15, 2017 ShareThis poem is a Shakespearean sonnet.
The roundabout is going in reverse,
And people see and judge the fading past;
The riders greet each other with a curse;
The music makes a screeching, blaring blast.
The carousel begins to slow, and then
The ride and music ...
- I’m Looking For My Brother January 23, 2017 ShareI’m looking for my brother
Can you tell me where he is?
Can you tell me who he is?
I’m looking for my brother
Is he behind that computer screen?
Is he behind that smartphone screen?
I’m looking for my brother
Is he only an illusion?
Is he ...
- The Power Of Lies January 5, 2017 ShareThis poem is a parody of the song “The Power of Love” (1985) by Huey Lewis, Chris Hayes, and Johnny Colla.
The power of lies is a curious thing
Makes one man fall, makes another man king
Turns a child into one who ...
- After The Writing January 1, 2017 ShareThis poem is a parody of Neil Young’s song “After the Garden.” Young’s song is about the pollution and exploitation of the earth. My poem, on the other hand, is about a hypothetical situation in which all written human knowledge ...
- My Thoughts Are The Shots December 18, 2016 ShareA little lesson about perception.
If my thoughts are the shots that hurt me
Then we should learn it good and agree
That your act was a fact
But the tact that it lacked
Was what I did supply and did ...
- Hanging By A Thread December 16, 2016 ShareA poem reveals its true feelings.
I was born last week on this poetry site
And I was well received when I first saw the light
And though I have been thoroughly enjoyed
I’m now falling into the poetry void
They say that I’ve had ...
- Simply Unpredictable December 13, 2016 ShareThis poem is a parody of the 1988 song “Simply Irresistible” by Robert Palmer. I have borrowed some words and phrases from the song for my poem because they worked well with the theme of my poem. This poem is ...
- The Choice December 13, 2016 ShareThis poem was initially titled “A Few Cans Of Food And Some Bottles Of Water.” I have revised and improved it.
Some cans of food and some jugs of water
You’ve got a gun and a garden out back
A way to save ...
- Be Not Misled – Revised December 12, 2016 ShareThis poem is based on Matthew (chapter 24) from the Bible. It tells about the end of the age and Christ’s return.
As Jesus was leaving the temple that day
His disciples came to show without delay
The grandeur of the temple and ...
- I’m A Spy December 8, 2016 Share(Just in my defense
This poem is not about me
Except in the sense
That we’re entangled energy)
I’m a spy in this hole
And I live on your soul
I’m just a normal guy
But I might never die
I don’t want to be replaced
Or silently erased
- Doing It All For The Money December 7, 2016 ShareThis poem is a parody of the song “Doing It All For My Baby,” performed by Huey Lewis and the News, and written by Mike Duke and Phil Cody.
Early in the morning, I’m still in bed
I’m dreaming about the wad ...
- The Amazing Reversible World December 6, 2016 ShareThis poem describes our path from a world of false perception and attack to a world of true perception and forgiveness. Finally, we will return to a heaven of perfect knowledge and love. These ideas come from the book A ...
- Echo Chamber December 5, 2016 ShareThis short poem is dedicated to the civilized world.
According to Wikipedia:
In news media an echo chamber is a metaphorical description of a situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by transmission and repetition inside an ...
- Can These Pages Live? December 4, 2016 ShareThis poem was inspired by some verses from the Bible.
He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
(Ezekiel 37:3 NASB)
Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is ...
- Your Life Is Based On Shifting Sand December 2, 2016 ShareThis poem is for people who think they can hide their evil and who think that evil makes them strong.
Attacking, mocking, killing foes
Your pride does swell as power grows
Though watching over all the land
Your life is based on shifting sand
- Can of Beans November 27, 2016 ShareSatan uses fear and depression to weaken and control us. Let’s turn things around with a little humor. This poem is a parody of Bob Dylan’s song “Man of Peace” (“You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of ...
- The Age Of Innocence October 4, 2016 ShareWhen we look around at all the others
And fail to see them as our brothers
We maintain the unhappy status quo
And hold firmly to our fear and woe
What is it that keeps the world mired in fear
And will not allow real ...
- This Time Around July 7, 2016 ShareThis poem is about the current age and the next age on earth.
This time around
We don’t see eye to eye
This time around
We are afraid to die
This time around
We walk divergent roads
This time around
We have different codes
This time around
The righteous people ...
- The Ego and the Attraction of Death May 18, 2016 ShareWhat would you see without the fear of death? What would you feel and think if death held no attraction for you? Very simply, you would remember your Father. The Creator of life, the Source of everything that lives…
–A Course ...
- The Beast April 24, 2016 ShareThis poem is about the beast of guilt and fear.
The repressed beast sleeps
In the heart that keeps
Its guilt hid away
And does not allay
The resulting fear
That judgment is near
People have a mask
With the simple task
Of hiding the beast
But guilt is a ...
- All Men Will Be Brothers March 21, 2016 ShareA Man’s A Man For All That
(Modern English update by Alan Steinle, 2016; original version by Robert Burns, 1795)
Is there for honest Poverty
That hangs his head, and all that;
The coward slave—we pass him by,
We dare be poor for all that!
- The Ego’s Last Stand February 13, 2016 ShareThis poem is about letting go of the past, and abandoning our belief that sin cannot be undone
You’ve taught me to lie without a trace
And to kill with no remorse
On the outside I’m the greatest guy
But now I’m dead inside
- Never As Good As The Last Time January 27, 2016 ShareThis is a Shakespearean sonnet about love. It is a response to the song “Never As Good As The First Time” by Sade.
One day, a million years or greater hence
The universe will be ripe, and so old
That there will be ...
- If I Believe January 22, 2016 ShareThis is my first, and perhaps last, Shakespearean sonnet.
If I believe that you are safely hid
In the eternal place where you are from
Then nothing you will do or sooner did
Possesses strength to keep you ever glum
If I believe that you ...
- A Blessing For The Zombies? January 5, 2016 ShareThis poem should have been written on Halloween. Don’t take it too seriously. Each line in this poem has five syllables.
Once before I thought
to do what I ought.
But now I can see
that I’m a zombie.
My friends are the same–
they all ...
- Atonement Without Sacrifice January 3, 2016 ShareThis poem was inspired by the section called “Atonement without Sacrifice” in the book A Course in Miracles.
Concerning the atonement
We must practice discernment
The atonement is a concept
Into which some errors have crept
In order to have consistent perception
We must eradicate all ...
- From Light To Light December 15, 2015 ShareThe Light
There is a light that embraces all living things
And carries the whole universe in its gentle wings
This light is intelligent and warm
And there are countless beings that swarm
Within its peaceful and welcoming mien
But it cannot be with the body’s ...
- The Middle Way December 15, 2015 ShareNow, it looks like it’s gone nationwide
Too much pride
(Don Henley, from “Too Much Pride”)
How to avoid the slavish side
While also shunning too much pride?
We can discover the middle way
When we choose oneness today
For oneness keeps us side-by-side
And helps us shun ...
- The Last Days December 15, 2015 ShareBut, “Ah, Lord GOD!” I said, “Look, the prophets are telling them, ‘You will not see the sword nor will you have famine, but I will give you lasting peace in this place.'” Then the LORD said to me, “The ...
- When The Veil Is Removed From Our Eyes December 15, 2015 ShareAnd on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples, Even the veil which is stretched over all nations. (Isaiah 25:7 NASB)
When the veil is removed from our eyes
What could we experience but surprise?
All these ...
- The Cat And The Mouse December 15, 2015 ShareOnce there lived a cat and a mouse
In an average suburban house
The cat got his meals every day
Even when the owners were away
The cat had nothing to worry about
But there was something he was without
He felt alone, even with clever ...
- Wasteland December 15, 2015 ShareMy brain is bruised, and my heart is sore
Lying face-down on a hard dirt floor
Do you know who is still keeping score?
My brain is bruised, and my heart is sore
I can’t see what the future is for
There’s nothing in this ...
- If Loss Were Real June 25, 2015 ShareIf loss were real anywhere
Then life would be unfair
If loss were really the truth
Then despair would end our youth
Death cannot take what is eternal
If we put our hope in rotting skin
Then no one can ever hope to win
For death ...
- A Different Kind of Music May 24, 2015 ShareThe pianist pounds the keys
And plays the notes he sees
The sheet music does dictate
The song’s sound, tone, and rate
The drum regularly beats
As the public sits in their seats
A man gently taps his feet
On the unyielding concrete
His neighbor asks him to ...
- Exiles in Babylon February 1, 2015 ShareThree exiled Jews refuse to obey the king of Babylon and bow to his golden image. This poem is an interpretation of part of the book of Daniel, in the Bible.
In the land of Judah, Jehoiakim reigned
But in his third ...
- A Few Cans Of Food And Some Bottles Of Water January 27, 2015 ShareShould we prepare to survive in this world or prepare for eternity?
A few cans of food and some bottles of water
A gun in your hand and a garden out back
A way to protect your wife, son, and daughter
In your wilderness ...
- An Open Letter to the Oppressed People of the Earth January 23, 2015 ShareThis poem introduces five ways of dealing with suffering.
Around the world, people are suffering
From hatred, attack, and plundering
But each has his own way of dealing
With the pain and sorrow he is feeling
The first way of dealing with oppression
Is to stoically ...
- The Writing Is On The Wall January 15, 2015 ShareThis poem is about reaping what we have sown.
You have devised a shameful thing for your house
By cutting off many peoples;
So you are sinning against yourself.
Surely the stone will cry out from the wall,
And the rafter ...
- Make Your Choice January 12, 2015 ShareThis poem says that we must make a choice to listen to one of two voices. One voice leads to fear, and the other leads to love.
Make your choice
Hear your voice
Let the love within you arise
Or get caught in a ...
- The Most Powerful Knowledge October 12, 2014 ShareThis poem is about knowledge, power, and the knowledge that brings us the most power or strength.
Those from the ivory tower
Say that our knowledge is power
But what do we want power for?
Will it be used to win the next war?
- Either Or October 5, 2014 ShareEither we know what we are, or we don’t
Either we are one, or we are alone
Either God is love, or God is judgmental
Either we are like God, or God is a stranger
Either we want peace, or we don’t
Either the truth ...
- Just Once September 9, 2014 ShareThis poem is about finding peace and unity in a world of conflict and division.
You’re on your island, and I’m here on mine,
and walls and bodies our limits define.
My ideas and traits are not quite like yours,
and each of us ...
- To See Or Not To See August 30, 2014 ShareThis collection of poems is based on Review I of the Workbook of A Course in Miracles. The Workbook has one lesson per day, and the numbers before the poems refer to these lessons.
To See Or Not To See: An ...
- What Is A Man? August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem says that man has an inner core of love, and an outer appearance that changes.
What is a man that we might know his being?
Perhaps our beliefs about him are not freeing
For with our knowledge of his past deeds
- We Are God’s Perfect Creation August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem says that our reality is holiness and love, but our thoughts of sin have obscured this fact.
God creates by extending his divinity–
His love, joy, and peace–into infinity
In reality, we are God’s perfect creation
The sinless effect of his causation
- Seven Short Poems August 30, 2014 ShareThese poems address some ideas presented in the book A Course in Miracles. The form of these poems is called a Limerick.
Can it be that I see nothing today
Although the whole world is on display
For I see only the past
- Inside The Machine August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about the machine that currently spans the globe.
Inside the machine of violence and deception
Love is not given welcome nor reception
But the self that this machine corrupts and smears
Is not the Self that knows neither loss nor tears
- My Body Is An Antenna August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about energy and its transformation.
My body is an antenna in a sea
Of positive and negative energy
Like attracts like, and so what I receive
Are the thoughts and ideas to which I cleave
If I desire to attract only positive ...
- The World Transparent August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about the world of the future, in which everything is known by everyone.
Are you ready for the shining world transparent
When the contents of your heart will be apparent
For the mind’s eye will see what is unblocked
And the ...
- On The Road To Emmaus August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Luke 24:13-32). In this part of the Bible, two of Jesus’ followers are walking on the road after Jesus was crucified. They are sad because they thought Jesus would save ...
- A Permanent Peace August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Isaiah 8:5 – 9:7). This part of the Bible discusses the power of Assyria, a future destruction, the talk of conspiracy, the darkness to be experienced by those who follow ...
- The Two Conspiracies August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem deals with hidden conspiracies and the open conspiracy.
To conspire means to breathe together
To be united by a strong tether
A bond that can’t easily be broken
An agreement that might be unspoken
Of conspiracies, there are two kinds
Two ways to form ...
- I Am Fascism August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is a personification of the principle of fascism. It is dedicated to those who have suffered under fascism at any time or place.
My M.O. is to always tell lies
But for now I have dropped my disguise
My will is ...
- The Forgotten Song August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem presents the idea that we have forgotten the song of love and praise that joins us to our Creator.
Do you remember that song of praise
That we sang when our hearts were ablaze
With the love that our Creator bestows
- I Am Your Fate August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about factory work.
I’m not man or machine
I’m just something in between
–Robert John “Mutt” Lange, from the song “Lovin’ Every Minute of It”
You’re the man upstairs doing fine
While I’m stuck here on this assembly line
I’m not man or ...
- When You’re Out On The Street August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about homelessness.
When you’re out on the street
In the summer day’s heat
And you see me in rags
Just holding some bags
Remember the high price
You paid for looking so nice
For I wear no disguise
‘Cause I can’t compromise
And I’m not trying ...
- Rituals vs. Universal Love August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an imaginary dialogue between Kongzi (Confucius) and Mozi, two ancient Chinese philosophers.
The goal that my teachings have planned
Is social order throughout the land
How will you achieve this noble aim
And make for yourself a name?
I will teach people ...
- Relationships: Illusion And Reality August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about love and the attempt to limit love.
Is a relationship a way
For a person to play
With another’s heart
And then to depart?
Or can one speak a vow
That is able to somehow
Make a bond last forever
No matter the weather?
- Other People August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about the heaven and hell of relationships.
Hell is other people.
Hell is other people who
No matter what you do
Always find something to judge
They drag you through the sludge
And see through your thin disguise
As they shred you with ...
- In This Human Frame August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about the strange experience of being in a human body.
Why am I in this human frame
That is at birth given a name?
Isn’t this name only a handle
And this body but a ‘brief candle’?
If the body is my ...
- For Ralph Waldo Emerson August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is dedicated to Emerson, the 19th century American essayist and poet.
You were born in a young country of ideals
In a country with no king and no one kneels
But this country with its new constitution
Was created through a bloody ...
- Be Thankful August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem was written just before Thanksgiving.
Is thanksgiving appropriate today
When the world is in such disarray?
With all of our confusion
And growing disillusion
Be thankful that it won’t stay this way
- The Dog And The Wolf August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about choices. It is based on Aesop’s fable of the same name.
There was once a lean wolf, hungry and weak,
Who encountered a proud dog, fat and sleek.
The dog looked at the hungry wolf and said,
“With such a ...
- An Eternal Spring August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about the darkness of unforgiveness and the eternal spring brought about by forgiveness.
What can forgiveness bring
Except an eternal spring?
Forgiveness brings lasting peace
The kind that does not cease
It brings meaning to a world of chaos
It brings growth to ...
- God Wants Only Complete Happiness For Me August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem reveals that love and happiness are experienced together, and they are God’s will for us.
God wants only complete happiness for me
And love is the happiness that sets me free
This world was made to keep us apart
To deny God’s ...
- Inner Power August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about resentment and its relinquishment.
Inner resentment tears apart your soul
And on those around you takes its toll
But your pardon releases
And sin’s burden decreases
When you forgive and make the world whole
- Miracles August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem puts the fifty miracle principles into verse.
All miracles are the same
Glad expressions of love’s flame
Although diverse to the body’s eyes
They do not vary in degree or size
Miracles in themselves mean not a thing
Unless we know from Whom they ...
- No Other Will August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem states that our will and God’s will are one.
When I fail to forgive
When I’m afraid I won’t live
When my mind is conflicted
When my heart is afflicted
When I fear my mistakes
When the solid earth quakes
When I am afraid of ...
- On Self-Defense August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem says that the body is not real and that, if we defend the body, we are essentially believing that we are a body and that we can be destroyed.
If I defend myself it means I believe
That the attack ...
- The All-in-All August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem discusses the immanence and omnipresence of God. In other words, God is in everything and he is everywhere.
Can your theological tome
Really be God’s place or home?
The whole universe cannot embrace
God’s reality within time and space
But each tiny grain ...
- The Light Does Not Condemn You August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem deals with several themes from A Course in Miracles.
To escape from the guilt, fear, and pain
That continually attack your weary brain
You must take one small step ahead
And leave for an instant all your dread
While you hold on to ...
- The Real World August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem puts into verse the description of the real world from the Workbook for Students in A Course in Miracles.
The world that you see brings fear to your mind
For what you looked for is what you did find
You sent ...
- There Is Nothing That We Need To Do August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem presents the idea that all our efforts are not as important as the realization that we don’t need to do anything.
How to shorten the time needed to heal?
How to wake up quickly to the real?
We only need to ...
- The Thief August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem deals with the “special relationship” as described in A Course in Miracles.
The soul that does itself despise
Looks for another to tell it lies
This soul seeks to throw itself away
And to steal another self as prey
And this unhappy soul’s ...
- The Wings Of The Spirit August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is about leaving the world after our purpose here is complete.
If there is for spirit a reason
To stay in this world for a season
Is it not to reveal to another spirit
The voice of reason until it can hear ...
- What Is Forgiveness? August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is based on the Workbook lesson titled “What Is Forgiveness?” This lesson can be found in the book A Course in Miracles.
Forgiveness is the recognition
That sin is but an apparition
It does not make real the sin
It sees that ...
- Why Delay? August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem discusses how the body, which is not our true home, was made to keep us apart and to limit love.
Why postpone and delay
Your body’s final day?
Why delay and postpone
Your spirit’s return home?
You will not be happy alone
In this ...
- Your Salvation Is Not Far August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem tackles several themes from A Course in Miracles.
Though mistaken you have often been
You have never committed a mortal sin
For a mortal sin would condemn you to hell
With no release, as you seem to know well
But all your errors ...
- Be Not Misled August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Matthew 24). This part of the Bible is called the Olivet Discourse. In this monologue, Jesus tells of the signs of the end of the age. He says that there ...
- Blessed Are You August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Matthew 5:1-12). This part of the Bible is called the Beatitudes. It contains Jesus’ words of blessing.
Jesus, seeing the crowds gathering around,
Went up the mountain and sat on the ground
- How Long? August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Habakkuk 1-2). In this book of the Bible, the prophet Habakkuk has a conversation with God. Habakkuk sees violence on every side, and even though he knows that it will ...
- The Assyrians August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Isaiah 10). This part of the Bible discusses the Assyrians, who think they have become gods. God uses them to test and correct other nations, but the Assyrians will also ...
- The Covenant With Death August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Isaiah 28:9-22). This part of the Bible discusses the “covenant with death,” which some people make to try to achieve personal security. These people will follow many orders, but these ...
- The Holy Seed August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Isaiah 6). This part of the Bible discusses the prophet Isaiah’s call by God to tell the people his words. People will become insensitive and dumb, and there will be ...
- The New Covenant August 30, 2014 ShareThis poem is an interpretation of part of the Bible (Jeremiah 31:31-34). This part of the Bible discusses the “new covenant,” in which God has forgiven and forgotten all sin, and everyone knows God personally. This new covenant will replace ...